Sunday, March 4, 2007

Fishing Trip to the Kuala Selangor Light House

For the first time last year I went for fishing trip to a real deep sea. But we did not stay in the boat. We stayed in a light house which is situated in Kuala Selangor. It's really in a deep sea - you don't see anything around you, except the ocean! Luckily the light house is very big and it has some bedrooms in it as well. Idayu and I shared one room at RM30.00 per night - with aircond! It has three single bed in the room with attached bathroom. More than comfortable!

We departed from Janda Baik at 9:00 am to Kuala Selangor through Karak Highway - crossed the tunnel to Gombak toll and took the MRR2 (Middle Ring Road 2) to Kepong and straight on to Sungai Buluh, Paya Jaras etc until we reached Kuala Selangor. Then we took the road to Bagan Nakhoda Omar and went to Jeram jetty. There were Chan, Mat Sabri, Phoon, Erwin (an expat from Switzerland), Idayu and myself.

From the jetty, we took the fisherman boat which Chan had booked earlier. The boatman and his son would take us to the light house. When we asked him how far is it to the light house, he didn't know in kilometer. He said 3 hours boat ride! Wow, 3 hours...! I took the pill to help me not to be seasick during the journey. I already had one very bad experience during islands hoping at Tioman Island and another experienced during squid jigging (mencandat sotong) at Pulau Kapas in Terengganu. Ghoshh...when I remember that, I thought I'll never ride a boat again in my life! But I can't put aside my love for beaches and fishing.

The first half an hour, there's no problem. I felt very fresh with the ocean wind scrubbing my face. But after an hour, I started to feel giddy. Because it was a fisherman boat, there's no seat like the passenger boat. We just sat anywhere we like. Since Idayu and I were the only two ladies, we were asked to sit inside the boat. Then, I just lied down and sleep for the next hours. Thank God I could sleep, or else I might throw out whatever I have inside my stomach. The guys also were not very comfortable. They lied down at the deck below. Idayu was quite tough, she didn't seem to feel giddy like me.

Finally we arrived the light house. You could not see anything else around except the ocean. For the first time in my life, I was risking my life at a deep sea. I could not swim, and it was quite scarry. Quitely I pray in my heart so that Allah will save me. I remember my Mom alone in the house...

The guys did not book any room, they wanted to fish all night. The light house is very big. It has a kitchen and dining area, lounge to watch tv, prayer room and guest area - where anglers can rest. It has public wash room near the guest area too. So they can just shower in the wash room. But for ladies, it's better to rent a room with attached bathroom.

I went to rest for a while in the room. But the guys already started fishing, they just couldn't wait! After a while, I joined them too at the light house deck. Idayu was already there. They have got some small fish using the apollo.

Later in the evening, I joined the guys for fishing on the deck. My line was stucked a few times. Not because of fish, just stucked under the deck. An amateur angler! But I still enjoy fishing. I just caught two small fish (ikan selar kuning). Later that night, we used it as bait, expecting to get bigger fish. But no luck. At almost 1:00 am, I went to bed. At 3:00 am, I came up again to the deck. Many guys (from other groups as well) were still fishing. Looked like they were not going to sleep. By 4:00 am, I gave up!

In the morning around 8:00 am, I tried my luck again. Only the apollo worked for me. I had to forget about my dream to catch big fish. Chan caught one fish about 2 kg (ikan telinga gajah). People from other groups caught some nice fish (kerapu, jenahak, pari). By 12:00 noon, we packed off and left the light house.

During the journey back to Jeram, we had a very fascinating view. Many seagulls were following closely to the boat as if they were sending us off. Then I realized that when the boat was moving, there were many small fish in the wave caused by the boat. That's the reason why the seagull were following us! But it was really a fascinating scene when we could see it caught the fish!

Since I did not get any big fish, I just bought some at Jeram jetty!


High Power Rocketry said...

: )

HatSepsuT said...

Hey there,
after browsing through your blog i found it really interesting about the light house. Since i'm looking forward to go for a fishing trip a day or two. May i know how much it cost to take the boat from the jetty to the light house? and roughly how long it takes from kuala lumpur to kluala selangor? do reply. hope you can help me out. and hear from you soon :) thanks and have a nice day

Anonymous said...

hi. where exactly is this lighthouse? cant find it on the web.